6.09.2009

Food & Fttness

...is so complicated! Eat this. Don't eat that. You need more of this. That is bad for you. Too much sugar. Too much fat. Need more protein. Way too much salt. Need more greens.

K- Really?

Getting older doesn't mean you can eat McDonald's, Taco Bell, ramen noodles and candy whenever you want. Getting older means you can't ever have that stuff again if you want to be healthy and do what's good for your body.

Nick and his skating team recently got a nutritionist to help everyone lose those few fatty pounds that 8 hours a day training won't shed. In reading his recommendations for new food to eat cutting calories and sugar were the main things. So off to the grocery store we went. It was crazy amazing to me to see the difference in numbers different brands had to offer. Here is a little list of things we used to get and things we get now and the numbers:

Bread
Old: 100 calories per slice
New: 45

Cheese
Old: Over 100
New: 30

Cereal
I don't remember the exact numbers, but you want low calories and more important low sugar. Plain cheerio's do the trick.

Taking a daily vitamin is a smart thing to do. I just wish they weren't so huge! You should also do some kind of cardio to get your blood flowing nicely. And using the muscles that God gave you might be a good idea.

We all know that I fell off the workout train last year. Lack of motivation, lazyness, the want to go home instead of go for a run outside won. I've had a hard time getting back into that phase because I believe you should do something because you want to. You only live once. Well In the long run I want to be one of those active old people and I want to be active up to that point too. What I want and what I'm doing isn't on the same page, probably not even in the same book.

Slowly and secretly I gave myself a choice. Run or skate. That is how I get the best workout. The option to sit and watch TV is not an option. It's just not. I just bought my bike, but that is too easy to go on an hour ride and not get a workout cause you are sitting down the whole time. I guess if you take your seat off, that might change...

But I got to the point that my jeans just don't fit anymore and I look gross. People change when they get tired of the current situation and that is pretty much where I am. I went skating last Friday cause I didn't want to run. And I am planning on being there this week as well.

Everyone is differnet and work/think in different ways.

PS: Chocolate milk is a great (no joke) recovery drink. Recovery being the key word.

No comments: