9.25.2008

Payday

This weekend is payday. I always say that I am going to try to not spend money...yadda yadda yadda. Bottom line is that I have to spend money. I need to buy food and gas and pay bills. So every other Friday I get really serious about saving money and I always end up clearing out the bank. Well this time is different.

Last payday I did a little experiment. I added $50 to my $15 savings account. I went and looked at my numbers online and I still have that $65 there!!! It is so amazing!!! So because I get direct deposit, my work check goes into my account a day early. So today I put another $50 in there so now I have $115!!! Just sitting there collecting a few cents of interest.

After paying bills I don't have too much left to get food and gas with. Enough, but nothing to just throw around. I think that it is neat how stretching pennies is very possible. Since living with Nick I've learned a lot:

- We get our food at Smiths (just down the street) with our Smiths card and that in turn give you money off gas. (Last week I got a .15 off each gallon.)

- Only get the food that is on sale and get lots of it. If you have the cabinet space use it! You may not need that particular food right now, but you will have it for later. (We have 3 BBQ sauce bottles just chillin in the pantry that don't go bad till the end of next year)

- Save a little each pay check. It adds up fast if you forget about it!

- Lifetime. When buying non-food items think to yourself how often you will be using it. Realistically. Things like a bike, a computer, neutral colored curtains are ok as long as you pay for them in full at that time. And are able to use it for years and years to come.

Saving money is fun. Spending it is funner.

No comments: